What makes a great brand? What makes an ad effective? In this course the instructor will show you exactly how great ideas are born and then how they are transformed into effective marketing communications. You will learn to think like a creative professional, study the fundamentals of design, and complete several creative projects.
Design Essentials, Part 1 2 days | $825 + HST
This two-day course is designed for those who want to learn how to create professional, relevant, and effective marketing communications. Prerequisite: proficiency in either InDesign, Illustrator, or Microsoft Publisher.
Think Like A Creative Pro
- understanding brands: why some work and others don't
- the design process
- the creative brief
- research: the competition, the target market, etc.
- creating a Mood board: using imagery, typography, and colour to convey an idea and create the feeling of a brand personality
Design Fundamentals & the Designer's Toolbox
- using InDesign and Illustrator
- review of great type and why it works. Review of bad type and why it doesn't.
- typography fundamentals: the language of type, manipulating type
- types of type: typefaces & personality
- type as a texture/graphic
- pattern & alignment
- white Space
- hierarchy & composition
- the grid system
- basic colour theory
- creating a poster
Design Essentials, Part 2 2 days | $825 + HST
This course is designed for those who want to create basic marketing material: newsletters, information one-sheets, business cards, etc. Prerequisite: proficiency in either InDesign, Illustrator, or Microsoft Publisher.
Design a Newsletter or a series of Info Sheets
- document essentials
- designing important page elements
- consider hierarchy and composition
- finessing your project
Design an Identity Package
- basic Logo
- business Card